Larry Goves: Paraphernalia: material agency and musical excess (Sonic Materialities Lab). Wednesday 23 January, 12-2pm (CM.107).

Paraphernalia is an planned extensive sequence of new theatrical/multimedia music compositions in which the intention is to collide notions of material agency with a compositional interpretation of Kaloust Guedel’s Excessivism manifesto (2015) and related visual artworks. The sequence also takes, as an elusive starting point, Marco Ferreri’s controversial 1973 film La Grande Bouffe (which centres on a group of friends who decide to eat themselves to death). This talk focuses on two sections of the sequence: happy/boomf/fat is a completed short work for any voices printed on marshmallows and eaten while its sung; and a currently untitled work for piano, harpsichord, percussion, and video in which a slow-motion film of hundreds of bearing balls falling and ricocheting form the rhythmic material for the piece. The paper also looks at extending an approach used for an earlier short work for cello and electronics (Filakr(2012)),in which unpredictable electronic processes are used to create hours of sounds which are subsequently ‘mined’ for tiny fragments to form the material for the piece. This presentation explores some of the aesthetic, social, and methodological notions and questions regarding overconsumption and excess that frame this work in progress.

You might be interested in …

Emmanuelle Waeckerlé: Playing (with) and becoming (OPEN SCORES LAB 21). Wednesday 13 February, 12-2/2-4pm, CM107.

Uncategorized

Playing (with) and becoming I will share a few projects, VINST, JUNGLE FEVER, PRAELUDERE, Ode (owed) to O, specualting on where my attachment to spoken/written language and the voice may come from, and how a few conceptual strategies I have used over the years have recently led to rather unexpected results. In the afternoon I […]

Read More

Emily Hall – Adventures in word setting

Uncategorized

Wednesday 14 October, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Everything from why I started working with words, how working with words allowed me to find my musical voice, how I choose texts, how I adapt them to work for me, how I set them, how I collaborate with living writers, setting texts out of copyright, translations….I will […]

Read More

Simon Holt – Three Pieces

Uncategorized

Wednesday 3 March 2021, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Simon Holt is a composer whose music demands unusual commitment from his interpreters – his intricate sound-worlds often comprise complex, rich textures, offset by ‘still centres’ – for the purpose of making music which speaks with extraordinary power. He was born in Bolton, Lancashire on 21 February, […]

Read More