Michael Wolters: Play Time (Open Scores Lab 20). Wednesday 9 January, 12-2pm (CM.107).

In this session I’m going to talk about my love of playing with ideas and concepts. Over the years this approach has defined my position as an interdisciplinary composer who has every form of expression at their disposal and is not bound by the limitations of individual genres.

I was born in 1971 in Mönchengladbach and grew up in Niederkrüchten, a small German village on the Dutch border. After working as a care worker in a children’s home and a runner at several theatres in Germany and England I studied Applied Theatre Studies at Justus-Liebig-Universität Giessen, Germany and Composition with Patric Standford and Christopher Fox in Huddersfield (BA, MA) and with Vic Hoyland in Birmingham (PhD).

My works have been performed at the Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival, the ISCM World Music Days in Manchester (with Isobel Bowler), Spitalfields Festival (with Isobel Bowler), the Barbican Centre, Birmingham Symphony Hall, the Royal Festival Hall, Whitechapel Art Gallery, Tate Liverpool and various other concert halls, festivals, supermarkets, art galleries, shoe shops, theatres, banks, opera houses, in cafes, on beaches, in cinemas, on the radio, on TV; in the UK, Germany, lots of other European places, in Russia, New Zealand, the USA and Canada. I work in close relationship with the German theatre artist Marcus Droß and I’m a founding member of the artists’ collective New Guide to Opera. Since 2009 I have been Deputy Head of Composition at Birmingham Conservatoire.

You might be interested in …

Emma Hooper – The World is Listening: crunching new numbers and searching for solutions to the U.K.’s ongoing gender imbalance in music creation

Uncategorized

Wednesday 23 October, 12-2pm, CM105 With over 95,000 composers and songwriter members, the Performing Rights Society (PRS)is the organisation that ensures that professional composers and songwriters in the UK are compensated for the use of their work. In 1994 ten percent of PRS earning members were female (PRS, 2017b). In 2015, 22 years later, that number was only […]

Read More

Michael Maierhof: Specific Objects

Uncategorized

Wednesday 18 November 2020, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Some of my music includingsome general thoughts about:Instruments as objectsandObjects as instrumentsAbout composing pitches versus composing sound complexes, composing video, composing light, composing performance. Michael Maierhof is a composer based in Hamburg. He studied mathematics and music in Kassel and art history and philosophy in Hamburg. He […]

Read More

Laurence Crane

Uncategorized

Wednesday 30 September 2020, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Composer Laurence Crane will show a selection of his music. Drawing on over 35 years of work in composition, he will talk about some of his recurring preoccupations as a composer over this period. Laurence Crane was born in Oxford in 1961 and studied composition with Peter […]

Read More