Michael Wolters: Play Time (Open Scores Lab 20). Wednesday 9 January, 12-2pm (CM.107).

In this session I’m going to talk about my love of playing with ideas and concepts. Over the years this approach has defined my position as an interdisciplinary composer who has every form of expression at their disposal and is not bound by the limitations of individual genres.

I was born in 1971 in Mönchengladbach and grew up in Niederkrüchten, a small German village on the Dutch border. After working as a care worker in a children’s home and a runner at several theatres in Germany and England I studied Applied Theatre Studies at Justus-Liebig-Universität Giessen, Germany and Composition with Patric Standford and Christopher Fox in Huddersfield (BA, MA) and with Vic Hoyland in Birmingham (PhD).

My works have been performed at the Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival, the ISCM World Music Days in Manchester (with Isobel Bowler), Spitalfields Festival (with Isobel Bowler), the Barbican Centre, Birmingham Symphony Hall, the Royal Festival Hall, Whitechapel Art Gallery, Tate Liverpool and various other concert halls, festivals, supermarkets, art galleries, shoe shops, theatres, banks, opera houses, in cafes, on beaches, in cinemas, on the radio, on TV; in the UK, Germany, lots of other European places, in Russia, New Zealand, the USA and Canada. I work in close relationship with the German theatre artist Marcus Droß and I’m a founding member of the artists’ collective New Guide to Opera. Since 2009 I have been Deputy Head of Composition at Birmingham Conservatoire.

You might be interested in …

Cat Hope: Animated Graphic notations for electro/acoustic and collaborative works

Uncategorized

Wednesday 9 December, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] In this presentation, Australian composer and performer Cat Hope talks about her animated notation practice and how it is used to facilitate the inclusion of electronics in a series of small and large scale works. Originally engaged to enable a focus on very low sound, glissandi and long […]

Read More

Michael Maierhof: Specific Objects

Uncategorized

Wednesday 18 November 2020, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Some of my music includingsome general thoughts about:Instruments as objectsandObjects as instrumentsAbout composing pitches versus composing sound complexes, composing video, composing light, composing performance. Michael Maierhof is a composer based in Hamburg. He studied mathematics and music in Kassel and art history and philosophy in Hamburg. He […]

Read More

Leo Chadburn – Found Text, Speaking Voices, Self Portraits

Uncategorized

Leo Chadburn talks about his work from the last decade: music that is concerned with the musicality and theatricality of the speaking voice, found text, lists and stream-of-consciousness writing. He has drawn upon models borrowed from visual art, such as the installation work of Susan Hiller and the films of John Smith and Peter Greenaway, […]

Read More