Michael Wolters: Play Time (Open Scores Lab 20). Wednesday 9 January, 12-2pm (CM.107).

In this session I’m going to talk about my love of playing with ideas and concepts. Over the years this approach has defined my position as an interdisciplinary composer who has every form of expression at their disposal and is not bound by the limitations of individual genres.

I was born in 1971 in Mönchengladbach and grew up in Niederkrüchten, a small German village on the Dutch border. After working as a care worker in a children’s home and a runner at several theatres in Germany and England I studied Applied Theatre Studies at Justus-Liebig-Universität Giessen, Germany and Composition with Patric Standford and Christopher Fox in Huddersfield (BA, MA) and with Vic Hoyland in Birmingham (PhD).

My works have been performed at the Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival, the ISCM World Music Days in Manchester (with Isobel Bowler), Spitalfields Festival (with Isobel Bowler), the Barbican Centre, Birmingham Symphony Hall, the Royal Festival Hall, Whitechapel Art Gallery, Tate Liverpool and various other concert halls, festivals, supermarkets, art galleries, shoe shops, theatres, banks, opera houses, in cafes, on beaches, in cinemas, on the radio, on TV; in the UK, Germany, lots of other European places, in Russia, New Zealand, the USA and Canada. I work in close relationship with the German theatre artist Marcus Droß and I’m a founding member of the artists’ collective New Guide to Opera. Since 2009 I have been Deputy Head of Composition at Birmingham Conservatoire.

You might be interested in …

Evan Johnson – Composing with Hand and Forearm

Uncategorized

Wednesday 28 April 2021, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] A combination of discussion of some recent works, a polemic, and a plea: on the importance of the body and its motions, postures and rhythms in everything to do with notated music: not only the performance, not only the material, but the score and even the act […]

Read More

Emmanuelle Waeckerlé: Playing (with) and becoming (OPEN SCORES LAB 21). Wednesday 13 February, 12-2/2-4pm, CM107.

Uncategorized

Playing (with) and becoming I will share a few projects, VINST, JUNGLE FEVER, PRAELUDERE, Ode (owed) to O, specualting on where my attachment to spoken/written language and the voice may come from, and how a few conceptual strategies I have used over the years have recently led to rather unexpected results. In the afternoon I […]

Read More

Emily Hall – Adventures in word setting

Uncategorized

Wednesday 14 October, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Everything from why I started working with words, how working with words allowed me to find my musical voice, how I choose texts, how I adapt them to work for me, how I set them, how I collaborate with living writers, setting texts out of copyright, translations….I will […]

Read More