Michael Wolters: Play Time (Open Scores Lab 20). Wednesday 9 January, 12-2pm (CM.107).

In this session I’m going to talk about my love of playing with ideas and concepts. Over the years this approach has defined my position as an interdisciplinary composer who has every form of expression at their disposal and is not bound by the limitations of individual genres.

I was born in 1971 in Mönchengladbach and grew up in Niederkrüchten, a small German village on the Dutch border. After working as a care worker in a children’s home and a runner at several theatres in Germany and England I studied Applied Theatre Studies at Justus-Liebig-Universität Giessen, Germany and Composition with Patric Standford and Christopher Fox in Huddersfield (BA, MA) and with Vic Hoyland in Birmingham (PhD).

My works have been performed at the Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival, the ISCM World Music Days in Manchester (with Isobel Bowler), Spitalfields Festival (with Isobel Bowler), the Barbican Centre, Birmingham Symphony Hall, the Royal Festival Hall, Whitechapel Art Gallery, Tate Liverpool and various other concert halls, festivals, supermarkets, art galleries, shoe shops, theatres, banks, opera houses, in cafes, on beaches, in cinemas, on the radio, on TV; in the UK, Germany, lots of other European places, in Russia, New Zealand, the USA and Canada. I work in close relationship with the German theatre artist Marcus Droß and I’m a founding member of the artists’ collective New Guide to Opera. Since 2009 I have been Deputy Head of Composition at Birmingham Conservatoire.

You might be interested in …

Peter Albrechtsen – Storytelling through Sound

Uncategorized

Wednesday 12 May 2021, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Peter Albrechtsen is a Danish sound designer, re-recording mixer and music supervisor based in Copenhagen and working on both feature films and documentaries. Among Peter Albrechtsen’s recent doc credits are the festival favorites Bill Nye: Science Guy, Land of the Free and True Conviction. Recent fiction credits […]

Read More

Jim Copperthwaite – Inside Music for Picture

Uncategorized

Wednesday 16 October, 12-2pm, CM105 Film and TV composer Jim Copperthwaite will present a brief excursion through the world of composing music for picture in which we’ll look at the creative process, compositional technique and craft of writing for the screen. For more information about Jim, have a look at his website​

Read More

Simon Holt – Three Pieces

Uncategorized

Wednesday 3 March 2021, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Simon Holt is a composer whose music demands unusual commitment from his interpreters – his intricate sound-worlds often comprise complex, rich textures, offset by ‘still centres’ – for the purpose of making music which speaks with extraordinary power. He was born in Bolton, Lancashire on 21 February, […]

Read More