Maya Verlaak: ‘Verwondering’: An urge for attentiveness, mystery, imagination, surprise, astonishment, discovery and research (Open Scores Lab 22). Wednesday 6 March, 12-2pm and 2-4pm workshop, CM107

Capsizing a boat would break the boat’s functions but would also reveal how it travels forwards: moving to challenge the complacency of those with an incurious view of the boat’s functions. As composer I try to become an outsider to reflect better upon the mechanics of the field in which I operate, attempting to create space to be critical and opening up my compositional practice. Becoming an outsider necessitates learning new techniques, but also allows for humour and self-deprecation. It enables me to play with context and derive new compositional material.

This compositional material is often created from analysing particular events in my lived experience. Therefore my work can often become context-specific, requiring substantial rewrites when performed for a second or third time. However, my scores are not conventionally written but focus on giving insight into the compositional process so that the performers are encouraged to engage with the material to perform it, often almost rewriting it! A performer will need to adopt my own analytical position, research the compositional process and reflect on if there are compositional parameters that need to be evaluated before a new performance. They becomes outsiders themselves.

http://www.maya.ricercata.org

You might be interested in …

Larry Goves: Paraphernalia: material agency and musical excess (Sonic Materialities Lab). Wednesday 23 January, 12-2pm (CM.107).

Uncategorized

Paraphernalia is an planned extensive sequence of new theatrical/multimedia music compositions in which the intention is to collide notions of material agency with a compositional interpretation of Kaloust Guedel’s Excessivism manifesto (2015) and related visual artworks. The sequence also takes, as an elusive starting point, Marco Ferreri’s controversial 1973 film La Grande Bouffe (which centres on a group […]

Read More

Christopher Williams – Becoming a resource: on some recent projects with and for improvisers

Uncategorized

Wednesday 13 November 2019, 12-4, CM105 Talk 12-2pm In the first phase of the afternoon, Berlin-based composer, contrabassist, curator, and researcher Christopher A. Williams (http://www.christopherisnow.com) will offer a brief theoretical background and practical musings on two recent collaborative compositions with and for improvising musicians: Ansage, a radio piece featuring vocalist/performer David Moss and a choir […]

Read More

Amnon Wolman: Experimenting with the composition process

Uncategorized

Wednesday 19 February, 12-2pm, CM107 In recent years, experimental music has defined itself as an aesthetic and a “sound” identified by specific pieces and composers. In this talk I will try to shift the discussion back to experimentation as a central part of the composition process regardless of an aesthetic or sound. In my own […]

Read More