Maya Verlaak: ‘Verwondering’: An urge for attentiveness, mystery, imagination, surprise, astonishment, discovery and research (Open Scores Lab 22). Wednesday 6 March, 12-2pm and 2-4pm workshop, CM107

Capsizing a boat would break the boat’s functions but would also reveal how it travels forwards: moving to challenge the complacency of those with an incurious view of the boat’s functions. As composer I try to become an outsider to reflect better upon the mechanics of the field in which I operate, attempting to create space to be critical and opening up my compositional practice. Becoming an outsider necessitates learning new techniques, but also allows for humour and self-deprecation. It enables me to play with context and derive new compositional material.

This compositional material is often created from analysing particular events in my lived experience. Therefore my work can often become context-specific, requiring substantial rewrites when performed for a second or third time. However, my scores are not conventionally written but focus on giving insight into the compositional process so that the performers are encouraged to engage with the material to perform it, often almost rewriting it! A performer will need to adopt my own analytical position, research the compositional process and reflect on if there are compositional parameters that need to be evaluated before a new performance. They becomes outsiders themselves.

http://www.maya.ricercata.org

You might be interested in …

Catherine Lamb – The in-between

Uncategorized

Wednesday 14 April, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Catherine Lamb talks about the in-between, notions of impurities, perspectivism, Sruti as harmonic thinking, spirals, and multi-dimensional realities. We will also listen to some music. Catherine Lamb is an active composer exploring the interaction of tone, summations of shapes and shadows, phenomenological expansions, the architecture of the liminal (states […]

Read More

Graham Fitkin

Uncategorized

Wednesday 28 October 2020, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Graham Fitkin talks about his compositions and long-standing musical inclinations, including use of patterns, information flow and juxtaposition. Along the way excerpts from a number of pieces will be heard showing how his work has changed over the years. I compose for live performance, dance, media and […]

Read More

Aaron Cassidy: A way of making ghosts

Uncategorized

Wednesday 11 November, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Aaron Cassidy will discuss two recent quartets based on the work of the painter Gerhard Richter—Self-Portrait, Three Times, Standing (15.3.1991–20.3.1991) (2018–19) and Self-Portrait, 1996 (2020)—that together form the collection A way of making ghosts. Since he has given some recent online lectures about the relationship between the pieces […]

Read More