Maya Verlaak: ‘Verwondering’: An urge for attentiveness, mystery, imagination, surprise, astonishment, discovery and research (Open Scores Lab 22). Wednesday 6 March, 12-2pm and 2-4pm workshop, CM107

Capsizing a boat would break the boat’s functions but would also reveal how it travels forwards: moving to challenge the complacency of those with an incurious view of the boat’s functions. As composer I try to become an outsider to reflect better upon the mechanics of the field in which I operate, attempting to create space to be critical and opening up my compositional practice. Becoming an outsider necessitates learning new techniques, but also allows for humour and self-deprecation. It enables me to play with context and derive new compositional material.

This compositional material is often created from analysing particular events in my lived experience. Therefore my work can often become context-specific, requiring substantial rewrites when performed for a second or third time. However, my scores are not conventionally written but focus on giving insight into the compositional process so that the performers are encouraged to engage with the material to perform it, often almost rewriting it! A performer will need to adopt my own analytical position, research the compositional process and reflect on if there are compositional parameters that need to be evaluated before a new performance. They becomes outsiders themselves.

http://www.maya.ricercata.org

You might be interested in …

Cathy Lane: The stories we tell….. and are told

Uncategorized

Wednesday 6 January, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] For a long time I considered my work to be about the relationship between sound, history and memory, using recorded spoken word and field recordings as my primary materials. However over the last decade or so, I realise that my recent work is all about stories – the […]

Read More

Kaffe Matthews – The essence of time and place in music making

Uncategorized

Wednesday 9 March 2022, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Through 30 years of practice making music through improvisation with electronics as well as building large interfaces for audience experience, often on the street, Kaffe Matthews is back finding an essence in being live on stage. At her talk on Wednesday,  she will take us through the […]

Read More

Trio Atem perform new piece by MA composers

Uncategorized

We’ve had a great couple of days with Trio Atem in residence, giving a concert and working with our MA composers. On Wednesday evening they performed pieces by Nina Whiteman, Pia Palme, and Matthew Sergeant in the MTC. The following day they worked with MA composers on pieces written specially for the trio. The varied […]

Read More