Maya Verlaak: ‘Verwondering’: An urge for attentiveness, mystery, imagination, surprise, astonishment, discovery and research (Open Scores Lab 22). Wednesday 6 March, 12-2pm and 2-4pm workshop, CM107

Capsizing a boat would break the boat’s functions but would also reveal how it travels forwards: moving to challenge the complacency of those with an incurious view of the boat’s functions. As composer I try to become an outsider to reflect better upon the mechanics of the field in which I operate, attempting to create space to be critical and opening up my compositional practice. Becoming an outsider necessitates learning new techniques, but also allows for humour and self-deprecation. It enables me to play with context and derive new compositional material.

This compositional material is often created from analysing particular events in my lived experience. Therefore my work can often become context-specific, requiring substantial rewrites when performed for a second or third time. However, my scores are not conventionally written but focus on giving insight into the compositional process so that the performers are encouraged to engage with the material to perform it, often almost rewriting it! A performer will need to adopt my own analytical position, research the compositional process and reflect on if there are compositional parameters that need to be evaluated before a new performance. They becomes outsiders themselves.

http://www.maya.ricercata.org

You might be interested in …

Trio Atem perform new piece by MA composers

Uncategorized

We’ve had a great couple of days with Trio Atem in residence, giving a concert and working with our MA composers. On Wednesday evening they performed pieces by Nina Whiteman, Pia Palme, and Matthew Sergeant in the MTC. The following day they worked with MA composers on pieces written specially for the trio. The varied […]

Read More

Cathy Milliken: Composition and Collaboration: an investigation of collaborative musical practice through the lens of the composer (Intercultural Communication through Practice). Wednesday 20 February, 12-2pm, CM107.

Uncategorized

The purpose of this seminar is to investigate various ways in which composers engage in collaborative, creative musical processes with others. I shall introduce three projects, each placed in different cultural contexts. I will touch on more general considerations such as democratic musical practices and shared authorship as well as specifics relating to intercultural creative […]

Read More

Michael Wolters: Play Time (Open Scores Lab 20). Wednesday 9 January, 12-2pm (CM.107).

Uncategorized

In this session I’m going to talk about my love of playing with ideas and concepts. Over the years this approach has defined my position as an interdisciplinary composer who has every form of expression at their disposal and is not bound by the limitations of individual genres. I was born in 1971 in Mönchengladbach […]

Read More