Maya Verlaak: ‘Verwondering’: An urge for attentiveness, mystery, imagination, surprise, astonishment, discovery and research (Open Scores Lab 22). Wednesday 6 March, 12-2pm and 2-4pm workshop, CM107

Capsizing a boat would break the boat’s functions but would also reveal how it travels forwards: moving to challenge the complacency of those with an incurious view of the boat’s functions. As composer I try to become an outsider to reflect better upon the mechanics of the field in which I operate, attempting to create space to be critical and opening up my compositional practice. Becoming an outsider necessitates learning new techniques, but also allows for humour and self-deprecation. It enables me to play with context and derive new compositional material.

This compositional material is often created from analysing particular events in my lived experience. Therefore my work can often become context-specific, requiring substantial rewrites when performed for a second or third time. However, my scores are not conventionally written but focus on giving insight into the compositional process so that the performers are encouraged to engage with the material to perform it, often almost rewriting it! A performer will need to adopt my own analytical position, research the compositional process and reflect on if there are compositional parameters that need to be evaluated before a new performance. They becomes outsiders themselves.

http://www.maya.ricercata.org

You might be interested in …

Emily Hall – Adventures in word setting

Uncategorized

Wednesday 14 October, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Everything from why I started working with words, how working with words allowed me to find my musical voice, how I choose texts, how I adapt them to work for me, how I set them, how I collaborate with living writers, setting texts out of copyright, translations….I will […]

Read More

Matthew Shlomowitz – Graveyard and Slot (with guest appearance)

Uncategorized

Wednesday 17 March 2021, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Matthew Shlomowitz will discuss ways he sets up a quasi-theatrical scenario through music and sound, without recourse to image or text, in his recent composition Graveyard and Slot (with guest appearance). In advance, you can look at a performance of the work given by Ensemble Nikel at the 2020 […]

Read More

Si Waite: Singer-songwriters, interactive systems and liveness. (Visual Music and Sonic Arts). Wednesday 13 March, 12-2pm, CM107

Uncategorized

Si will be discussing and presenting examples of his work that explore different approaches to composing and performing with audio-visual interactive systems. Si Waite is a singer-songwriter working with audio-visual interactive systems. He has recently moved from Staffordshire University to Falmouth University and is currently preparing for a PhD viva at De Montfort University. Si […]

Read More