Emma Hooper – The World is Listening: crunching new numbers and searching for solutions to the U.K.’s ongoing gender imbalance in music creation

Wednesday 23 October, 12-2pm, CM105

With over 95,000 composers and songwriter members, the Performing Rights Society (PRS)is the organisation that ensures that professional composers and songwriters in the UK are compensated for the use of their work. In 1994 ten percent of PRS earning members were female (PRS, 2017b). In 2015, 22 years later, that number was only marginally higher, at fourteen percent (PRS, 2017b). These statistics represent a genre-spanning picture of the overall UK music-maker industry, and are seemingly strong indicators of a particular gendered imbalance in terms of music creation within the larger scope of UK music industries, one that, despite a sharp rise in awareness, targeted organizations, and initiative funding, is improving at a very minimally significant rate, if at all. This talk discusses the almagamation of new data produced through partnerships with the PRS, The World is Listening (women in music organization), UK festivals, and dozens of interviews along with numerous secondary sources to cross-check demographic and economic details in an effort to shed light on the potential cause(s) of this ongoing imbalance in the face of notable social effort.

You might be interested in …

Emmanuelle Waeckerlé: Playing (with) and becoming (OPEN SCORES LAB 21). Wednesday 13 February, 12-2/2-4pm, CM107.

Uncategorized

Playing (with) and becoming I will share a few projects, VINST, JUNGLE FEVER, PRAELUDERE, Ode (owed) to O, specualting on where my attachment to spoken/written language and the voice may come from, and how a few conceptual strategies I have used over the years have recently led to rather unexpected results. In the afternoon I […]

Read More

Emily Hall – Adventures in word setting

Uncategorized

Wednesday 14 October, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Everything from why I started working with words, how working with words allowed me to find my musical voice, how I choose texts, how I adapt them to work for me, how I set them, how I collaborate with living writers, setting texts out of copyright, translations….I will […]

Read More

Thor Magnusson – Sonic Writing: Technologies of Material, Symbolic and Signal Inscriptions

Uncategorized

In this talk I will present resent research that explores how contemporary music technologies trace their ancestry to previous forms of instruments and media. I will look at how new digital music technologies have origins in traditional instrument design, musical notation, and sound recording. The scope will range from ancient Greek music theory, medieval notation, early […]

Read More