Ryoko Akama

Wednesday 7 October 2020, 12-2pm [online via Minerva]

Ryoko Akama will present some recent projects, and will consider the way her work has developed over recent months without the possibility of live performance. 

Ryoko Akama works with installations and sounds and approaches listening situations that magnify silence, time and space. Her sculptural work engages with mundane objects and invisible energies such as magnetism and gravity, employing small and fragile objects such as paper balloons and glass bottles in order to create tiny aural and visual occurrences that embody ‘almost nothing’ aesthetics. She also composes text scores and performs a diversity of alternative scores in collaboration with other artists and musicians.

She is an artistic director for ame and co-runs the independent publisher mumei publishing and melange edition.

Selected installations include: the way they are (Yorkshire Sculpture Park, 2019, UK), composition of happiness (Spanien19C, 2019, Denmark), kosetsu (Stedelijk Museum, 2019, Amsterdam), ploughs and harrows (Konfrontation Festival, 2018, Austria), listening with the city (Internationales Musikinstitut Darmstadt, 2018, Germany),odds and ends (Bunkier Sztuki Gallery, 2018, Poland), loiner or (Industrial Museum of Leeds, 2018, UK), Object Migration (Avant Art Festival + Sanatorium Dź wię ku, 2017, Poland) and 1→ 5 (Uppsala Art Museum, 2016, Sweden).
Ryoko Akama is supported by PRS Foundation’s Women Make Music 2020.

You might be interested in …

Emma Hooper – The World is Listening: crunching new numbers and searching for solutions to the U.K.’s ongoing gender imbalance in music creation

Uncategorized

Wednesday 23 October, 12-2pm, CM105 With over 95,000 composers and songwriter members, the Performing Rights Society (PRS)is the organisation that ensures that professional composers and songwriters in the UK are compensated for the use of their work. In 1994 ten percent of PRS earning members were female (PRS, 2017b). In 2015, 22 years later, that number was only […]

Read More

James Saunders/Matthew Sergeant: Making Pieces

Uncategorized

Weds 22 Jan, 12-2pm, CM105 James and Matt will each look through a recent piece and discuss their working process, from initial ideas and planning, through to completion and realisation.

Read More

Emily Hall – Adventures in word setting

Uncategorized

Wednesday 14 October, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Everything from why I started working with words, how working with words allowed me to find my musical voice, how I choose texts, how I adapt them to work for me, how I set them, how I collaborate with living writers, setting texts out of copyright, translations….I will […]

Read More