Emily Hall – Adventures in word setting

Wednesday 14 October, 12-2pm [online via Minerva]

Everything from why I started working with words, how working with words allowed me to find my musical voice, how I choose texts, how I adapt them to work for me, how I set them, how I collaborate with living writers, setting texts out of copyright, translations….I will whizz through my output chronologically, from 2004 (when I started to work with text) to now, playing lots of my music, giving examples and practical advice along the way.

Emily Hall is a composer, a violinist and a producer. Much of Emily Hall’s music is formed from close creative relationships with singers, instrumentalists and writers and finding her own ways of using technology and live performance.
Emily Hall is a member of Bedroom Community, the Icelandic record label. She has written for the London Sinfonietta, LSO, BBC NOW, the Brodsky Quartet, Opera North, LCO, Mahogany Opera, Hungarian Radio Choir, Aldeburgh Music, Streetwise Opera, Lady Maisery, Allan Clayton, Jodie Landau, Olivia Chaney. Her music is frequently broadcast on BBC Radio 2, 3, 4 and 6 Music. Emily Hall is the recipient of the Paul Hamlyn Foundation Award for Artists, the Genesis Opera Prize, the Royal Philharmonic Society Composition Award and the Corinthia AIR.
Emily has written 5 operas, none of which are traditional in form and many, many songs, including a trilogy of song cycles with author Toby Litt, on love (“Befalling”), motherhood (“Life Cycle”) and death (“Rest”). She has a band called Mandel, in which she she co-writes with musician and music therapist Misha Law. Emily Hall is signed up to Culture Declares an ecological emergency.

“The freedom with which Emily Hall writes songs, there is a disarming directness in her music” Tom Service, BBC Radio 3
“Emily Hall’s restless modernity mixes classical precision with an ear for folk and electronics.” MOJO

You might be interested in …

Simon Holt – Three Pieces

Uncategorized

Wednesday 3 March 2021, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Simon Holt is a composer whose music demands unusual commitment from his interpreters – his intricate sound-worlds often comprise complex, rich textures, offset by ‘still centres’ – for the purpose of making music which speaks with extraordinary power. He was born in Bolton, Lancashire on 21 February, […]

Read More

Evan Johnson – Composing with Hand and Forearm

Uncategorized

Wednesday 28 April 2021, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] A combination of discussion of some recent works, a polemic, and a plea: on the importance of the body and its motions, postures and rhythms in everything to do with notated music: not only the performance, not only the material, but the score and even the act […]

Read More

Laurence Crane

Uncategorized

Wednesday 30 September 2020, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Composer Laurence Crane will show a selection of his music. Drawing on over 35 years of work in composition, he will talk about some of his recurring preoccupations as a composer over this period. Laurence Crane was born in Oxford in 1961 and studied composition with Peter […]

Read More