Emily Hall – Adventures in word setting

Wednesday 14 October, 12-2pm [online via Minerva]

Everything from why I started working with words, how working with words allowed me to find my musical voice, how I choose texts, how I adapt them to work for me, how I set them, how I collaborate with living writers, setting texts out of copyright, translations….I will whizz through my output chronologically, from 2004 (when I started to work with text) to now, playing lots of my music, giving examples and practical advice along the way.

Emily Hall is a composer, a violinist and a producer. Much of Emily Hall’s music is formed from close creative relationships with singers, instrumentalists and writers and finding her own ways of using technology and live performance.
Emily Hall is a member of Bedroom Community, the Icelandic record label. She has written for the London Sinfonietta, LSO, BBC NOW, the Brodsky Quartet, Opera North, LCO, Mahogany Opera, Hungarian Radio Choir, Aldeburgh Music, Streetwise Opera, Lady Maisery, Allan Clayton, Jodie Landau, Olivia Chaney. Her music is frequently broadcast on BBC Radio 2, 3, 4 and 6 Music. Emily Hall is the recipient of the Paul Hamlyn Foundation Award for Artists, the Genesis Opera Prize, the Royal Philharmonic Society Composition Award and the Corinthia AIR.
Emily has written 5 operas, none of which are traditional in form and many, many songs, including a trilogy of song cycles with author Toby Litt, on love (“Befalling”), motherhood (“Life Cycle”) and death (“Rest”). She has a band called Mandel, in which she she co-writes with musician and music therapist Misha Law. Emily Hall is signed up to Culture Declares an ecological emergency.

“The freedom with which Emily Hall writes songs, there is a disarming directness in her music” Tom Service, BBC Radio 3
“Emily Hall’s restless modernity mixes classical precision with an ear for folk and electronics.” MOJO

You might be interested in …

Maya Verlaak: ‘Verwondering’: An urge for attentiveness, mystery, imagination, surprise, astonishment, discovery and research (Open Scores Lab 22). Wednesday 6 March, 12-2pm and 2-4pm workshop, CM107

Uncategorized

Capsizing a boat would break the boat’s functions but would also reveal how it travels forwards: moving to challenge the complacency of those with an incurious view of the boat’s functions. As composer I try to become an outsider to reflect better upon the mechanics of the field in which I operate, attempting to create […]

Read More

Aaron Cassidy: A way of making ghosts

Uncategorized

Wednesday 11 November, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Aaron Cassidy will discuss two recent quartets based on the work of the painter Gerhard Richter—Self-Portrait, Three Times, Standing (15.3.1991–20.3.1991) (2018–19) and Self-Portrait, 1996 (2020)—that together form the collection A way of making ghosts. Since he has given some recent online lectures about the relationship between the pieces […]

Read More

Kaffe Matthews – The essence of time and place in music making

Uncategorized

Wednesday 9 March 2022, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Through 30 years of practice making music through improvisation with electronics as well as building large interfaces for audience experience, often on the street, Kaffe Matthews is back finding an essence in being live on stage. At her talk on Wednesday,  she will take us through the […]

Read More