Emily Hall – Adventures in word setting

Wednesday 14 October, 12-2pm [online via Minerva]

Everything from why I started working with words, how working with words allowed me to find my musical voice, how I choose texts, how I adapt them to work for me, how I set them, how I collaborate with living writers, setting texts out of copyright, translations….I will whizz through my output chronologically, from 2004 (when I started to work with text) to now, playing lots of my music, giving examples and practical advice along the way.

Emily Hall is a composer, a violinist and a producer. Much of Emily Hall’s music is formed from close creative relationships with singers, instrumentalists and writers and finding her own ways of using technology and live performance.
Emily Hall is a member of Bedroom Community, the Icelandic record label. She has written for the London Sinfonietta, LSO, BBC NOW, the Brodsky Quartet, Opera North, LCO, Mahogany Opera, Hungarian Radio Choir, Aldeburgh Music, Streetwise Opera, Lady Maisery, Allan Clayton, Jodie Landau, Olivia Chaney. Her music is frequently broadcast on BBC Radio 2, 3, 4 and 6 Music. Emily Hall is the recipient of the Paul Hamlyn Foundation Award for Artists, the Genesis Opera Prize, the Royal Philharmonic Society Composition Award and the Corinthia AIR.
Emily has written 5 operas, none of which are traditional in form and many, many songs, including a trilogy of song cycles with author Toby Litt, on love (“Befalling”), motherhood (“Life Cycle”) and death (“Rest”). She has a band called Mandel, in which she she co-writes with musician and music therapist Misha Law. Emily Hall is signed up to Culture Declares an ecological emergency.

“The freedom with which Emily Hall writes songs, there is a disarming directness in her music” Tom Service, BBC Radio 3
“Emily Hall’s restless modernity mixes classical precision with an ear for folk and electronics.” MOJO

You might be interested in …

Si Waite: Singer-songwriters, interactive systems and liveness. (Visual Music and Sonic Arts). Wednesday 13 March, 12-2pm, CM107

Uncategorized

Si will be discussing and presenting examples of his work that explore different approaches to composing and performing with audio-visual interactive systems. Si Waite is a singer-songwriter working with audio-visual interactive systems. He has recently moved from Staffordshire University to Falmouth University and is currently preparing for a PhD viva at De Montfort University. Si […]

Read More

Hardi Kurda – Listening to found scores

Uncategorized

Wednesday 17 February 2021, 12-2pm, online via Minerva. Exploring the ready-made scores through speculative listening to create sound compositions that demands other listening spaces. A Kurdish composer, improviser and sound artist, Hardi Kurda began his music education at the Institute of Fine Art, Slemani (violin). He obtained his BA (2009) and MA (2012) degrees in […]

Read More

Michael Wolters: Play Time (Open Scores Lab 20). Wednesday 9 January, 12-2pm (CM.107).

Uncategorized

In this session I’m going to talk about my love of playing with ideas and concepts. Over the years this approach has defined my position as an interdisciplinary composer who has every form of expression at their disposal and is not bound by the limitations of individual genres. I was born in 1971 in Mönchengladbach […]

Read More