Emily Hall – Adventures in word setting

Wednesday 14 October, 12-2pm [online via Minerva]

Everything from why I started working with words, how working with words allowed me to find my musical voice, how I choose texts, how I adapt them to work for me, how I set them, how I collaborate with living writers, setting texts out of copyright, translations….I will whizz through my output chronologically, from 2004 (when I started to work with text) to now, playing lots of my music, giving examples and practical advice along the way.

Emily Hall is a composer, a violinist and a producer. Much of Emily Hall’s music is formed from close creative relationships with singers, instrumentalists and writers and finding her own ways of using technology and live performance.
Emily Hall is a member of Bedroom Community, the Icelandic record label. She has written for the London Sinfonietta, LSO, BBC NOW, the Brodsky Quartet, Opera North, LCO, Mahogany Opera, Hungarian Radio Choir, Aldeburgh Music, Streetwise Opera, Lady Maisery, Allan Clayton, Jodie Landau, Olivia Chaney. Her music is frequently broadcast on BBC Radio 2, 3, 4 and 6 Music. Emily Hall is the recipient of the Paul Hamlyn Foundation Award for Artists, the Genesis Opera Prize, the Royal Philharmonic Society Composition Award and the Corinthia AIR.
Emily has written 5 operas, none of which are traditional in form and many, many songs, including a trilogy of song cycles with author Toby Litt, on love (“Befalling”), motherhood (“Life Cycle”) and death (“Rest”). She has a band called Mandel, in which she she co-writes with musician and music therapist Misha Law. Emily Hall is signed up to Culture Declares an ecological emergency.

“The freedom with which Emily Hall writes songs, there is a disarming directness in her music” Tom Service, BBC Radio 3
“Emily Hall’s restless modernity mixes classical precision with an ear for folk and electronics.” MOJO

You might be interested in …

Roger Mills: Tele-Improvisation: Intercultural Interaction in the Online Global Music Jam Session. (Visual Music and Sonic Arts) Wednesday 27 March, 12-2pm, CM107.

Uncategorized

In this presentation, Roger Mills discusses his new book Tele-Improvisation: Intercultural Interaction in the Online Global Music Jam Session. He presents case study research of how geographically dispersed musicians and sonic artists interact tele-improvisation, and the approaches and strategies they develop to perform across global cultures and time-zones. The presentation includes audio-visual recordings of remote […]

Read More

Mark Bowden

Uncategorized

Wednesday 19 May 2021, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] In this session I’ll talk through and play music from some current projects and some things from a few years back. I’ll also say a bit about ideas for the future. I’ll touch on technique, collaboration, Italo Calvino, dance, and recording. I’ll also talk a little bit […]

Read More

Anna Meredith

Uncategorized

Wednesday 25 November 2020, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Anna will be chatting through some of the range of projects she’s worked on in recent years including opening up her work beyond commissioned acoustic/orchestral etc work to include writing albums and performing with her band, writing for film and tv and installation work. She’ll also talk […]

Read More