Emily Hall – Adventures in word setting

Wednesday 14 October, 12-2pm [online via Minerva]

Everything from why I started working with words, how working with words allowed me to find my musical voice, how I choose texts, how I adapt them to work for me, how I set them, how I collaborate with living writers, setting texts out of copyright, translations….I will whizz through my output chronologically, from 2004 (when I started to work with text) to now, playing lots of my music, giving examples and practical advice along the way.

Emily Hall is a composer, a violinist and a producer. Much of Emily Hall’s music is formed from close creative relationships with singers, instrumentalists and writers and finding her own ways of using technology and live performance.
Emily Hall is a member of Bedroom Community, the Icelandic record label. She has written for the London Sinfonietta, LSO, BBC NOW, the Brodsky Quartet, Opera North, LCO, Mahogany Opera, Hungarian Radio Choir, Aldeburgh Music, Streetwise Opera, Lady Maisery, Allan Clayton, Jodie Landau, Olivia Chaney. Her music is frequently broadcast on BBC Radio 2, 3, 4 and 6 Music. Emily Hall is the recipient of the Paul Hamlyn Foundation Award for Artists, the Genesis Opera Prize, the Royal Philharmonic Society Composition Award and the Corinthia AIR.
Emily has written 5 operas, none of which are traditional in form and many, many songs, including a trilogy of song cycles with author Toby Litt, on love (“Befalling”), motherhood (“Life Cycle”) and death (“Rest”). She has a band called Mandel, in which she she co-writes with musician and music therapist Misha Law. Emily Hall is signed up to Culture Declares an ecological emergency.

“The freedom with which Emily Hall writes songs, there is a disarming directness in her music” Tom Service, BBC Radio 3
“Emily Hall’s restless modernity mixes classical precision with an ear for folk and electronics.” MOJO

You might be interested in …

Michael Pisaro-Liu – Quiet Masses

Uncategorized

Wednesday 21 April 2021 [2-4pm, online via Minerva – NOTE CHANGE OF TIME] Michael will talk about and play some recent (and not so recent) work that attempts to touch the infinite stream of the world with multitudes of small sounds. Michael Pisaro-Liu (born 1961 in Buffalo, New York) is a long time member of […]

Read More

Kathy Hinde – Re-wilding Water Data

Uncategorized

BSAD have sound artist and Bath Spa graduate Kathy Hinde visiting on Monday 22 February at 5pm, and the session is open to everyone. To join, use this link: https://meet.google.com/rpv-aaes-yqw Kathy will share her current research as a Data fellow with South West Creative Technology Network (SWCTN).She has been researching methods to experience water “data sets” […]

Read More

Emmanuelle Waeckerlé: Playing (with) and becoming (OPEN SCORES LAB 21). Wednesday 13 February, 12-2/2-4pm, CM107.

Uncategorized

Playing (with) and becoming I will share a few projects, VINST, JUNGLE FEVER, PRAELUDERE, Ode (owed) to O, specualting on where my attachment to spoken/written language and the voice may come from, and how a few conceptual strategies I have used over the years have recently led to rather unexpected results. In the afternoon I […]

Read More