Emily Hall – Adventures in word setting

Wednesday 14 October, 12-2pm [online via Minerva]

Everything from why I started working with words, how working with words allowed me to find my musical voice, how I choose texts, how I adapt them to work for me, how I set them, how I collaborate with living writers, setting texts out of copyright, translations….I will whizz through my output chronologically, from 2004 (when I started to work with text) to now, playing lots of my music, giving examples and practical advice along the way.

Emily Hall is a composer, a violinist and a producer. Much of Emily Hall’s music is formed from close creative relationships with singers, instrumentalists and writers and finding her own ways of using technology and live performance.
Emily Hall is a member of Bedroom Community, the Icelandic record label. She has written for the London Sinfonietta, LSO, BBC NOW, the Brodsky Quartet, Opera North, LCO, Mahogany Opera, Hungarian Radio Choir, Aldeburgh Music, Streetwise Opera, Lady Maisery, Allan Clayton, Jodie Landau, Olivia Chaney. Her music is frequently broadcast on BBC Radio 2, 3, 4 and 6 Music. Emily Hall is the recipient of the Paul Hamlyn Foundation Award for Artists, the Genesis Opera Prize, the Royal Philharmonic Society Composition Award and the Corinthia AIR.
Emily has written 5 operas, none of which are traditional in form and many, many songs, including a trilogy of song cycles with author Toby Litt, on love (“Befalling”), motherhood (“Life Cycle”) and death (“Rest”). She has a band called Mandel, in which she she co-writes with musician and music therapist Misha Law. Emily Hall is signed up to Culture Declares an ecological emergency.

“The freedom with which Emily Hall writes songs, there is a disarming directness in her music” Tom Service, BBC Radio 3
“Emily Hall’s restless modernity mixes classical precision with an ear for folk and electronics.” MOJO

You might be interested in …

Leo Chadburn – Found Text, Speaking Voices, Self Portraits

Uncategorized

Leo Chadburn talks about his work from the last decade: music that is concerned with the musicality and theatricality of the speaking voice, found text, lists and stream-of-consciousness writing. He has drawn upon models borrowed from visual art, such as the installation work of Susan Hiller and the films of John Smith and Peter Greenaway, […]

Read More

Daniel Kidane – Together in Difference: Transnational Identity in New Music

Uncategorized

Wednesday 21 October, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Following his recent articles for The Guardian and BMC, composer Daniel Kidane discusses his recent compositional practice in relation to his mixed heritage and identity, exploring these themes in relation to his recent pieces Woke (BBC Commission for The Last Night of the Proms),  Foreign Tongues (for string quartet), […]

Read More

Michael Maierhof: Specific Objects

Uncategorized

Wednesday 18 November 2020, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Some of my music includingsome general thoughts about:Instruments as objectsandObjects as instrumentsAbout composing pitches versus composing sound complexes, composing video, composing light, composing performance. Michael Maierhof is a composer based in Hamburg. He studied mathematics and music in Kassel and art history and philosophy in Hamburg. He […]

Read More