Graham Fitkin

Wednesday 28 October 2020, 12-2pm [online via Minerva]

Graham Fitkin talks about his compositions and long-standing musical inclinations, including use of patterns, information flow and juxtaposition. Along the way excerpts from a number of pieces will be heard showing how his work has changed over the years.

I compose for live performance, dance, media and installations. I work with acoustic instruments, electronic instruments and field recordings.

Much of my work is for individual performers and I frequently collaborate with Simon Haram, Joby Burgess, Kathryn Stott, Ruth Wall, Yo-Yo Ma, Will Gregory and Adrian Utley. My recent work with small groups and ensembles includes projects with The Sacconi Quartet, The Smith Quartet, Les Percussions Claviers de Lyon, Calefax, Ensemble Bash and Nederlands Blazers Ensemble. Orchestrally I have held composer-in-residence posts with Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and London Chamber Orchestra and have been commissioned by the Hallé, BBC Philharmonic, Tokyo Symphony Orch, RSNO, Athens Camerata, BBC Symphony Orch, BBC Concert Orch amongst others.

My work has been performed at various festivals including soundfestival, Huddersfield, Glastonbury, Cheltenham, Bath,Vale of Glamorgan, the BBC Proms and the 2012 UK Olympiad.I co-curate the Braemar Festival.

Recent cross-art collaborations include those with Ockham’s Razor (Lost), Tate St Ives (Wynter), Minack Theatre (Son), a VR collaboration with Shezad Dawood (The Shifter Terrarium).

Within the dance world I have composed for Shobana Jeyasingh, Wayne McGregor’s Random Dance, Pacific Northwest Ballet, New York City Ballet, San Francisco Ballet, Bi-Ma, Sidonie Rochon, Munich Ballet and Portugal National Ballet. I also worked with Jasmin Vardimon on the opera ‘Home’ for the Royal Opera House.

At the moment I am working on a music app for Truro city centre, HFC (Geography) and a music/cycling/tree-planting project with BBC NOW, culminating at the Proms in 2021 (Birch).

You might be interested in …

Matthew Shlomowitz – Graveyard and Slot (with guest appearance)

Uncategorized

Wednesday 17 March 2021, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Matthew Shlomowitz will discuss ways he sets up a quasi-theatrical scenario through music and sound, without recourse to image or text, in his recent composition Graveyard and Slot (with guest appearance). In advance, you can look at a performance of the work given by Ensemble Nikel at the 2020 […]

Read More

Michael Pisaro-Liu – Quiet Masses

Uncategorized

Wednesday 21 April 2021 [2-4pm, online via Minerva – NOTE CHANGE OF TIME] Michael will talk about and play some recent (and not so recent) work that attempts to touch the infinite stream of the world with multitudes of small sounds. Michael Pisaro-Liu (born 1961 in Buffalo, New York) is a long time member of […]

Read More

Lisa Streich – Performance Precarity

Uncategorized

Wednesday 10 March 2021, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] How is it possible to enter a different cosmos of time beside our very own time and life? What is that limbo that we can get thrown into in a concert – who is responsible for that? The music? The score ? The performer? The listener? Or […]

Read More