Aaron Cassidy: A way of making ghosts

Wednesday 11 November, 12-2pm [online via Minerva]

Aaron Cassidy will discuss two recent quartets based on the work of the painter Gerhard Richter—Self-Portrait, Three Times, Standing (15.3.1991–20.3.1991) (2018–19) and Self-Portrait, 1996 (2020)—that together form the collection A way of making ghosts. Since he has given some recent online lectures about the relationship between the pieces and the paintings, and to the issues raised by self-portraits in general, this talk will instead focus on some of the more practical, technical aspects of the pieces. He will look in detail at the approach to instruments, including several newly developed performance techniques and instrument preparations, and at the organisation of material through structural mechanisms that prioritise behavioural models and modes of interaction.

You might be interested in …

Emily Hall – Adventures in word setting

Uncategorized

Wednesday 14 October, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Everything from why I started working with words, how working with words allowed me to find my musical voice, how I choose texts, how I adapt them to work for me, how I set them, how I collaborate with living writers, setting texts out of copyright, translations….I will […]

Read More

Emmanuelle Waeckerlé: Playing (with) and becoming (OPEN SCORES LAB 21). Wednesday 13 February, 12-2/2-4pm, CM107.

Uncategorized

Playing (with) and becoming I will share a few projects, VINST, JUNGLE FEVER, PRAELUDERE, Ode (owed) to O, specualting on where my attachment to spoken/written language and the voice may come from, and how a few conceptual strategies I have used over the years have recently led to rather unexpected results. In the afternoon I […]

Read More

Roger Mills: Tele-Improvisation: Intercultural Interaction in the Online Global Music Jam Session. (Visual Music and Sonic Arts) Wednesday 27 March, 12-2pm, CM107.

Uncategorized

In this presentation, Roger Mills discusses his new book Tele-Improvisation: Intercultural Interaction in the Online Global Music Jam Session. He presents case study research of how geographically dispersed musicians and sonic artists interact tele-improvisation, and the approaches and strategies they develop to perform across global cultures and time-zones. The presentation includes audio-visual recordings of remote […]

Read More