Michael Maierhof: Specific Objects

Wednesday 18 November 2020, 12-2pm [online via Minerva]

Some of my music including
some general thoughts about:
Instruments as objects
and
Objects as instruments
About composing pitches versus composing sound complexes, composing video, composing light, composing performance.

Michael Maierhof is a composer based in Hamburg. He studied mathematics and music in Kassel and art history and philosophy in Hamburg. He is writing non-pitch organized music since the early nineties. International performances. Working with instruments, objects, preparations, applications, oscillating systems and motors. Exploring longitudinal wave phenomens on nylon strings, undertones on string instruments, friction on different structured surfaces, activation of instruments and objects by mechanical and sonic motors, the plastic materials for constructing new resonance spaces and developing analog vocoder for wind instruments and the voice. He was an invited lecturer at Trinity College in Dublin, at the Stuttgarter Musikhochschule, California Institute of the Arts, Los Angeles, Mozarteum Salzburg and the Central Conservatory of Music in Beijng/China, at the Musikhochschule Freiburg/Germany and in 2015 at the University of Cordoba/Argentina. Since 2004 he is cellist in the improv-trio NORDZUCKER (Hamburg/Berlin) and in the quartet „Stark Bewölkt“. Founder of the “Association for contemporary Music, Hamburg” (vamh.de) and co-founder of the stock11 artist network.

You might be interested in …

Emily Hall – Adventures in word setting

Uncategorized

Wednesday 14 October, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Everything from why I started working with words, how working with words allowed me to find my musical voice, how I choose texts, how I adapt them to work for me, how I set them, how I collaborate with living writers, setting texts out of copyright, translations….I will […]

Read More

Lucy Pankhurst – Brass Bands – In and Out of Context

Uncategorized

Wednesday 8 January 2020, 12-2pm, CM105 Drawing from her PhD research, compositionally examining the British brass band from a different perspective, combining traditional instrumentation with atypical elements, including electroacoustic additions, live sound manipulation, advanced performance techniques and using multiple ensembles. The presentation will include a look into research methods, composing techniques and artistic preferences, live demonstrations […]

Read More

Harry Matthews: experiencing noise in composed music [Open Scores Lab 25]

Uncategorized

Wednesday 9 October, 12-2pm, CM105 The fourth season of Open Scores Lab opens with Harry Matthews presenting some recent work that explores the subjectivity of noise pollution. Harry will talk about composed and installed pieces that draw on personal testimony. In the afternoon session we will test some new work using portable speakers. Harry Matthews: […]

Read More