Thor Magnusson – Sonic Writing: Technologies of Material, Symbolic and Signal Inscriptions

In this talk I will present resent research that explores how contemporary music technologies trace their ancestry to previous forms of instruments and media. I will look at how new digital music technologies have origins in traditional instrument design, musical notation, and sound recording. The scope will range from ancient Greek music theory, medieval notation, early modern scientific instrumentation to contemporary multimedia and artificial intelligence. I will point to a bespoke affinity and similarity between current musical practices and those from before the advent of notation and recording, stressing the importance of instrument design in the study of new music and projecting how new computational technologies, including machine learning, will transform our musical practices.

The talk will include examples of live coding performance, audiovisual composition and discuss the way compositional practices are shifting towards idiosyncratic system design above the more conventional notational practices.

Book: https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/sonic-writing-9781501313868/ [35% discount code: GLR MP6  ]

Thor Magnusson is a Professor in Future Music at the University of Sussex. His work focusses on the impact digital technologies have on musical creativity and practice, explored through software development, composition and performance. He is the co-founder of ixi audio (www.ixi-audio.net), and has developed audio software, systems of generative music composition, written computer music tutorials and created two musical live coding environments. He has taught workshops in creative music coding and sound installations, and given presentations, performances and visiting lectures at diverse art institutions, conservatories, and universities internationally.

In 2019, Bloomsbury Academic published Magnusson’s monograph Sonic Writing: The Technologies of Material, Symbolic and Signal Inscriptions. The book explores how contemporary music technologies trace their ancestry to previous forms of instruments and media, including symbolic musical notation. The book underpins current research, where, as part of the MIMIC project (www.mimicproject.com), Magnusson has worked on a system that enables users to design their own live coding languages for machine learning (see http://sema.codes)

Further information here: http://thormagnusson.github.io

You might be interested in …

Emily Hall – Adventures in word setting

Uncategorized

Wednesday 14 October, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Everything from why I started working with words, how working with words allowed me to find my musical voice, how I choose texts, how I adapt them to work for me, how I set them, how I collaborate with living writers, setting texts out of copyright, translations….I will […]

Read More

Emma Hooper – The World is Listening: crunching new numbers and searching for solutions to the U.K.’s ongoing gender imbalance in music creation

Uncategorized

Wednesday 23 October, 12-2pm, CM105 With over 95,000 composers and songwriter members, the Performing Rights Society (PRS)is the organisation that ensures that professional composers and songwriters in the UK are compensated for the use of their work. In 1994 ten percent of PRS earning members were female (PRS, 2017b). In 2015, 22 years later, that number was only […]

Read More

Michael Pisaro-Liu – Quiet Masses

Uncategorized

Wednesday 21 April 2021 [2-4pm, online via Minerva – NOTE CHANGE OF TIME] Michael will talk about and play some recent (and not so recent) work that attempts to touch the infinite stream of the world with multitudes of small sounds. Michael Pisaro-Liu (born 1961 in Buffalo, New York) is a long time member of […]

Read More