Jock McKenzie

Wednesday 13 January [online via Minerva]

Jock McKenzie is leading composer of educational music, specialising particularly in brass and wind. In this short presentation, Jock will talk about his approach to writing educational brass music (from beginner to diploma level), with a special emphasis on the new and different formats and resources necessitated by the recent Covid-19 lockdown(s). Jock McKenzie graduated in trumpet performance from RNCM in 1986. Since then he has worked concurrently as a performer, teacher, composer and arranger, conductor and adjudicator. Education has always been at the heart of all Jock’s work and much of his specialist composing and arranging focusses on aiding this process.

You might be interested in …

Maya Verlaak: ‘Verwondering’: An urge for attentiveness, mystery, imagination, surprise, astonishment, discovery and research (Open Scores Lab 22). Wednesday 6 March, 12-2pm and 2-4pm workshop, CM107

Uncategorized

Capsizing a boat would break the boat’s functions but would also reveal how it travels forwards: moving to challenge the complacency of those with an incurious view of the boat’s functions. As composer I try to become an outsider to reflect better upon the mechanics of the field in which I operate, attempting to create […]

Read More

Cathy Lane: The stories we tell….. and are told

Uncategorized

Wednesday 6 January, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] For a long time I considered my work to be about the relationship between sound, history and memory, using recorded spoken word and field recordings as my primary materials. However over the last decade or so, I realise that my recent work is all about stories – the […]

Read More

Cathy Milliken: Composition and Collaboration: an investigation of collaborative musical practice through the lens of the composer (Intercultural Communication through Practice). Wednesday 20 February, 12-2pm, CM107.

Uncategorized

The purpose of this seminar is to investigate various ways in which composers engage in collaborative, creative musical processes with others. I shall introduce three projects, each placed in different cultural contexts. I will touch on more general considerations such as democratic musical practices and shared authorship as well as specifics relating to intercultural creative […]

Read More