Evan Johnson – Composing with Hand and Forearm

Wednesday 28 April 2021, 12-2pm [online via Minerva]

A combination of discussion of some recent works, a polemic, and a plea: on the importance of the body and its motions, postures and rhythms in everything to do with notated music: not only the performance, not only the material, but the score and even the act of composition itself.  This talk will propose an attitude of profound physical and proprioceptive engagement with musical material and the act of its creation and notation as a means of coming to terms with the unjustifiable creative act.

—-

Evan Johnson (b. 1980) is an American composer whose music focuses on extremes of density and of reticence, of difficulty and of sparsity, and on hiding itself. His work is widely commissioned and performed in the US and Europe; recent projects include new works for the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Trio Accanto, and ELISION.

You might be interested in …

Larry Goves: Paraphernalia: material agency and musical excess (Sonic Materialities Lab). Wednesday 23 January, 12-2pm (CM.107).

Uncategorized

Paraphernalia is an planned extensive sequence of new theatrical/multimedia music compositions in which the intention is to collide notions of material agency with a compositional interpretation of Kaloust Guedel’s Excessivism manifesto (2015) and related visual artworks. The sequence also takes, as an elusive starting point, Marco Ferreri’s controversial 1973 film La Grande Bouffe (which centres on a group […]

Read More

Emily Hall – Adventures in word setting

Uncategorized

Wednesday 14 October, 12-2pm [online via Minerva] Everything from why I started working with words, how working with words allowed me to find my musical voice, how I choose texts, how I adapt them to work for me, how I set them, how I collaborate with living writers, setting texts out of copyright, translations….I will […]

Read More

Kathy Hinde – Re-wilding Water Data

Uncategorized

BSAD have sound artist and Bath Spa graduate Kathy Hinde visiting on Monday 22 February at 5pm, and the session is open to everyone. To join, use this link: https://meet.google.com/rpv-aaes-yqw Kathy will share her current research as a Data fellow with South West Creative Technology Network (SWCTN).She has been researching methods to experience water “data sets” […]

Read More