Edward Beazley / Reflections…

The intension of this piece was to capture the spirit of taking time out, getting away from life’s pressures and just being in the moment for those few precious opportunities of stillness and sanctuary.  Sporadic changes in time signature has the potential to disrupt this tranquillity and provide a sense of anticipation and hope that peace will eventually return.

Written for Plus Minus, it was a pleasure to have the opportunity to work with them on this piece.

Some other pieces to explore …

Barak Arbel / Reflections

MA Composition, Uncategorized

Reflections is trying to create a misterioso effect, first by the long notes of the clarinet’s melody at the beginning, later on by the harmony that all the instruments create together, and finally, by the free canon between the cello and the clarinet. I hope you will feel connected to this piece and take the […]

Read More

Jianan Wang / Unicorn

MA Composition

Unicorn was written for Plus Minus Ensemble and lasts approximately five minutes. The reason for the title is that the structure reminds me of a unicorn. This is my first time composing a happy piece. I am influenced by the soundtrack of the anime Attack on Titan, but my piece is not as grand. In […]

Read More

Liam Hayes / MINUS

MA Composition, Uncategorized

This piece was conceived from my growing interest in allowing the idea of “negative space” into my music. It is written for live electric guitar and backing track. MINUS acts as a dialogue (or argument perhaps) between the live performer and the pre-recorded material and also confronts the notion of which one we hear as […]

Read More