Jianan Wang / Unicorn

Unicorn was written for Plus Minus Ensemble and lasts approximately five minutes. The reason for the title is that the structure reminds me of a unicorn. This is my first time composing a happy piece. I am influenced by the soundtrack of the anime Attack on Titan, but my piece is not as grand. In the process of composing the piece, I first wrote the notes in my notebook, and then I thought about how to change the
notes of each bar, make some changes, and see how they are different. For the whole piece, I also thought about some scenes. The first is the unicorn wandering alone in the forest entrance. He walked slowly into the forest, but walked a few steps and wandered for a while. He hesitated and didn’t know
what was in the forest. At the same time, he has some fantasies and expectations of his own, out of his curiosity, he still went go on. He went farther away, gradually lost in the forest, and finally never came out. The mood and atmosphere of the unicorn are not sad. I chose the A♭major for the piece, and added a lot of staccatos, so that the style of the whole piece is amoroso, because it’s a unicorn with a lively character, but it’s hesitant too. After the opening which has a calm mood, his melancholy heart appears in bar 139. However, it isn’t exactly as same as the beginning, and he’s always looking ahead. There is an endless ending, and I use a ritardando at the end to make the piece sound like the unicorn gradually disappears in the forest.

Recorded remotely by Plus-Minus Ensemble as part of a composition workshop at Bath Spa University

Some other pieces to explore …

Liam Hayes / MINUS

MA Composition, Uncategorized

This piece was conceived from my growing interest in allowing the idea of “negative space” into my music. It is written for live electric guitar and backing track. MINUS acts as a dialogue (or argument perhaps) between the live performer and the pre-recorded material and also confronts the notion of which one we hear as […]

Read More

Liam Hayes / Revolve

MA Composition, Uncategorized

The title of this piece refers to the rhythmic movement of each instrument and how they interact with each other as the piece unfolds. Just as the earth revolves around the sun, the piano, cello and clarinet all rotate around a fixed harmonic point in this work. It can be divided into three sections (or […]

Read More

Barak Arbel / Reflections

MA Composition, Uncategorized

Reflections is trying to create a misterioso effect, first by the long notes of the clarinet’s melody at the beginning, later on by the harmony that all the instruments create together, and finally, by the free canon between the cello and the clarinet. I hope you will feel connected to this piece and take the […]

Read More